Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fastest quilt top ever

Yesterday at my journal quilt meeting, Lisa told me about something called a "jelly roll race" which seemed fun. However, since the semester is now underway, I won't be able to play along when the ladies do this at the shop, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap challenge is still red, so I pulled out that bin and started cutting strips. Most were the full width of fabric, but I cut some shorter pieces too. Some were pink, some a little on the orange-y side, with a few novelty pieces thrown in too:

The first step was to sew all of these strips end to end. This didn't take too long, about 40 minutes until all the seams were trimmed down and pressed open. It was a fine heap of ribbons:


Next you fold this enormous length of ribbon end-to-end, then stitch it together along the lo-o-o-o-o-ng edge. This one seam took a full 25 minutes. From there, you repeat the fold-and-stitch process four more times. Here's what it looks like after the third pass...:

...and the fourth pass...:
Then, finally, after the fifth pass, voila! The fastest quilt top ever!

I didn't bother measuring the lengths of fabric that I started out with, and they weren't all full width-of-fabric cuts; whatever I started out with, my finished top is 45 x 64". This one is heading for my quilt chapter's charitable option for this year. It's a little small for their target size, but I think somebody will find it snuggle-worthy. I'll do a little simple quilting sometime in the next few weeks to get it finished up. I'm very excited that I'm moving so much fabric out of my bins and into (semi-)finished things!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a fun way to move some serious yardage. It actually made a happy looking quilt too!

    ReplyDelete