Saturday, January 21, 2012

Out of the UFO pile...


Last year I wanted to try using cupcake liners for appliqueing (is that a verb?) circles; I started with a stack of animal skin prints, some nifty map fabric (Indiana Jones style), and two lovely jungle-esque batiks. I picked a very easy-but-striking pattern that I could assemble with a quilt-as-you-go technique, and which I've done numerous times before. The pieces of the top went together very quickly, maybe a couple of weekends. I started quilting a few of the sections, then got sidetracked by who knows what, and the whole thing ended up in The Bin of Doom for the rest of the year. This jumped out at me as real easy pickins when I started combing through said bin earlier this month. I quilted the last 11 blocks a few weekends ago (yay for NFL wildcard weekend!). It took another two weeks to cut all the skinny sashing pieces, trim each segment, hand-stitch down the strips on the back, and bind the whole thing. This is a big one - 72 x 90". I still have to make a label for the back, but I'm not certain of a good "name" for it yet, so let me know if you have any suggestions!

One thing I really love about this QAYG method is that you end up with a quilt that's very reversible. Here's the back:

No comments:

Post a Comment