Sunday, August 19, 2012

T-Shirts these were

This spring a good friend commissioned me to make a t-shirt quilt for her son's birthday. We combed through a few piles of the shirts she has been saving and pulled out all of the Marvel and Star Wars designs to give the project some focus. We found a nice selection of coordinating fabrics to use as borders and backing.

The tricky part of this project was that the shirts were worn from the teeny toddler years through the mini-man-size years so the images weren't all the same size. I had to spend some time measuring the usable sections and laying them out like a puzzle on graph paper to figure out how to make them fit best, with roughly even border strips. The planning effort was worth it, I think -- I really like the non-grid layout of this quilt, and how the busy comic border fabrics bring the whole thing together. I quilted straight lines around every block through the borders, and some custom free-motion work in each block.
Marvel/Star Wars T-shirt quilt, May 2012 (approx. 72 x 72")
Back of Marvel/Star Wars T-shirt quilt
Fun blogging fact: Yesterday was my 100th post!

No comments:

Post a Comment