Sunday, February 10, 2013

Metropolis class


Last Sunday, which feels like it was a century ago, I started a monthly class at Lisa's Clover Hill Quilts that showcases the 12 patterns in the Modern Patchwork book that I have been so obsessed with. It was a lot of fun working with everyone to find the right combination of fabrics for this design, and I carefully took photos of everyone's Before fabrics and After projects. Then, however, I misplaced my camera's memory card. This was extra sad, because I hadn't emptied it since Christmas, and it had birthday photos too. I thought it had fallen out of a bag in the parking lot or my driveway or somewhere in between. Today, though, it turned up right where I had stashed it so as not to lose it. (Is there a word for the feeling of immense relief coupled with self disgust? I bet the Germans have a word for that.)

So, at long last, here are a few photos from last Sunday:

Sue started with a lovely airy floral as her feature print, with some perfectly shaded coordinates to offset it.
Sue's finished block! So elegant...makes me want a cup of tea in the garden!

Tina went for bright! Her fabrics were vibrant reds, oranges and pinks; the class had a fun time shopping for just the right taupey gray to offset all these brights.
Tina's finished block! I think she's making more to assemble a full quilt...can't wait to see how it comes out!

Liz brought some wonderfully vibrant prints and batiks as coordinates.
Liz went home with a really fun finished block! I love the geometric prints as the "background" choices!

I didn't get a photo of her fabric choices, but Sara's finished block looked so fresh and modern...like sherbet on a summer afternoon!
Carol had scads of great choices, but decided on this fun button print paired with some brights...I will track down a photo of the finished block!


Ginger wanted to feature a pretty floral print; I love how the dark pink backgrounds pick up the shades of the hydrangea!

My fabric selections. I'm planning to use this same collection every month, then assemble all the blocks into a single sampler quilt.
The blue background is hard for me to appreciate, but I like the circus-y effect of all these brights together.
I plan to start next month's Roller Rink class with a Show and Tell session, because I'm eager to see how Ginger and Carol's projects came out. Thanks to all of you for letting me photograph your projects!

2 comments:

  1. Loved spending Sunday afternoon with you, and the rest of the class. If I wind up home again tomorrow, I'll get my block finished into a little wall hanging !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful! As you know, I simply love the block. I'll get to it someday.

    ReplyDelete