Monday, February 11, 2013

Snow Dyeing: The Exciting Conclusion!

If you missed yesterday's post, I am taking advantage of The Blizzard of 2013 for artistic purposes by doing some snow dyeing. I woke up early this morning, and the hardest part of the project was waiting until noon to see how the dyeing came out. When I lifted the lid, this is what greeted me:
Melted snow, pools of dye.
The next step is to rinse the fabric under cool, gradually warming, water until the runoff is mostly clear. Then it needs to soak in Synthrapol to set the color for ten minutes. Gak!! More waiting!!
Synthrapol soak.
After another quick rinse, it needs to a short, hot wash followed by high-heat drying. Here's a peek in the washing machine. I resisted the urge to unfold it and look closely while transferring it to the dryer. That was hard to do.
A quick peek after the spin cycle...colors!!
Then, a hot iron to finish setting the color, and it's done!!
This shot shows about half of the three yards that I dyed.
Motif close-up
From now on, I think my winter storm preparations will involve stocking up on white fabric and Procion MX dyes! (And coconut rum.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a cool technique. Please bring it to fiber journaling club next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm working on my "Love" journal piece right now, in fact.

      Delete