Friday, June 21, 2013

Sexy Pixels: The Mark Harmon Quilt (Season 3, Episode 1)

After an exciting cliffhanger in which the top was completed and the layers basted, Mark Harmon returns in an exciting new season in which the project is quilted.

I sweated over exactly what to do for the quilting. After drawing some quilting lines on a bunch of printouts of the finished top, I quickly realized that I am not skilled enough as a portraitist to attempt facial realism (like eye lines, brow crinkles, etc.). Instead, I decided on just a fairly tight stipple using semi-matching thread colors. I have plain white for the background, black for the dark areas of the eyes, nose, mouth, and jawline, and two shades of grey, the darker for the hair and the lighter for his skin.

Stippling that luxuriant hair!
After a couple hours of quilting, I have finished the hair and most of the shadow areas. I particularly like the way the dark grey thread appears on the darkest fabrics; it's kind of a cool salt-and-pepper effect for His Handsomeness.
A peek behind the scenes
Tune in again for the next installment as Our Hero nears his exciting finale!

No comments:

Post a Comment