Friday, November 15, 2013

Slapdash project

We spent the last week repainting the family/sewing room, so my supplies have been largely out of reach and out of commission. I'll post some photos of the new setup once we get it a little more back in order -- it's a really fantastic space to spend creative time in!

I done had a powerful hankerin' to make something new, so late last night I started whacking up some fabrics to make a Crime Wave quilt. Love the name, love the free-form concept, love her samples in the American Quilter magazine article that I picked up at Lisa's yesterday. I stayed up until midnight making the chunks, then left everything sitting on the cutting table overnight.

After the requisite amounts of readin', ritin', and 'rithmetic this morning, Cedric helped me arrange the segments on an ersatz design wall (actually just a fleece blanket hanging over the back of the couch), and this is what we ended up with:

Not too bad for a first try, I think. Linus really likes it because he's partial to autumn colors; Cedric is particularly pleased that I let him sew some of the straight seams to put the pieces together. He wants to call it "Slapstick Spectacular" or something like that. I thought he meant slapdash, but no -- he wanted to make a reference to the kind of humor where people hit each other. Ah, those boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment